Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Ariana's AFOs

We picked up Ariana's AFO's (leg braces) last Thursday after two months of waiting for them. Her new insurance plan with CRS (APIPA) has been a big pain in the butt with giving authorization for various medical equipment etc. (hence the reason for the delay). I was beginning to worry that she would outgrow the AFO's before she even got a chance to wear them. Not the case though. They fit fine, and she's been adjusting really well to them. We have been putting them on her after breakfast and taking them off for nap. Afer she wakes up from nap, she wears them until bedtime. The AFO's haven't left any real red marks on her legs, although they're always puddled with sweat when we take them off (she wears Coolmax socks which have sweat wicking properties so her socks stay relatively dry). Her AFOs also came with cute special sneakers (size 8) that offer support and traction for standing. She's a real sport, and sometimes I think she might even like them. We refer to them as "Ari's special shoes", and I think that they make her feel... well, special. I take this with a grain of salt right now though, because the weather has been beautiful, to say the least. In not much more than a few months, we'll be seeing temperatures rising to 120 degrees F (and above) if you can believe that. Speaking for myself here, I hate having to wear anything in the Phoenix summertime. I can't imagine having to wear plastic leg braces and knee socks and sneakers all summer long (except for when playing in the water). But, we'll just play it by ear. Like everything, these are definitely not a cure all, so I'm not going to stress about them too hard. What I do like is that now Ariana is permitted (encouraged even) to practice standing. She loves this, and even likes to pull herself to a stand from sitting with a little help. Now is the time to strengthen those leg muscles for crawling and walking.

Cute story: Ari and Gabe were at the park with Brooke the other day. An older girl commented that she really liked Ari's shoes (what's not to like? They're dalmation spotted!). Gabe then proudly piped up, pointing "Yeah. Ari's shoes. Ari's shoes!" acknowledging that yes, indeed they are cool shoes and he is proud to be her bro. At least, that's what I got out of it. ;)

1 comment:

Rebecca Lynch said...

Hiya; glad to be caught up on the last few postings. I can't believe how big your babies have gotten! I hope the birthday was a hit; I'm so sorry Noah and I couldn't be there and I'm sorry I was so MIA at the end there too. I've got some NY gifties for them that I'll pop in the mail this weekend (once I find my address book...;) Miss you all.