Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A mother’s pain

I thought I wouldn’t have to deal with this until much later, much further down the road.  But it’s here, and I’m not quite ready yet.  Isabella has always been pretty advanced for her tender age and something of an old soul.  Since she was a two month old in a baby carrier at the mall, people used to comment that she had “wise eyes”.  In fact, she must have gotten the “wise eyes” remark at least ten times from distinct observers since infancy.  And it’s true, for a baby, she was kind of wise.  At least in the sense that she never ceased watching others, observing, and taking in the world around her.  Now, she is still very aware and mature for her age – I mean, every time I speak with her, I feel like I’m talking to a teenager in a two-year-old’s body.  But even with all this taken into consideration, nothing could have prepared me for what she is going through now.

Isabella has become acutely aware of her missing left hand.  We don’t discuss it at home except to tell her that we love her arm and her hand, and that she is beautiful and perfect in our eyes.  She does receive many questions and remarks from both curious, friendly children and not-so-friendly children about her missing hand.  But, regardless of where it originated, she has realized that she is different, and she has attributed a meaning to it that we would not have wanted for her.  Isabella has started to indicate that she is self-conscious of her missing hand, and I am at a loss about what to do differently to change her perception.  It started when her Papa (Jake’s dad) paid her a compliment last month, saying that she was beautiful.  Bella retorted with, “No, I’m not beautiful Papa.  I have a hand and an arm”.  Her Papa repeated himself several times and each time he was answered with the same response.  A few weeks later, she was on a walk with her Nana (my mom), when she initiated, “Nana, I have a hand and an arm.”  Nana replied, “Yes, and I love your hand and your arm.”  Bella retorted, “No!  It’s not nice.”  Although it hurt me to hear this, I tried not to take it too seriously.  I hoped by just reinforcing our love for her and all her parts equally, that this would pass.  I couldn’t tell if she meant what she was saying or if she was just testing us to get a reaction.

Today, I got my confirmation that she isn’t just testing.  She really does believe what she is saying, and it breaks my heart to pieces.  I started dressing Bella this morning, and like usual, she snapped at me “Let me do it!”, so I let her.  As she was dressing herself, she got pouty and said, “Mommy, I want two hands.”  I responded, “okay, let’s go downstairs and get your other hand (her prosthesis)”, she got teary and said impatiently, “No, mommy!  I want three hands!  I want Jesus to give me three hands!”.  I was speechless.  She repeated, quietly, “I want Jesus to give me three hands”.  I just hugged her for a long time, so she couldn’t see my tears.  And that’s it… no great lesson, no triumphant ending, no turning her life around with a teachable moment seized.  Motherhood is equal parts joy and pain, and today was just a reminder of that.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

in time she'll find the beauty in being different. Most people live their lives blended and unrecognized, she was born to stand out. different is good.

Anonymous said...

If there is a person in this world that can presevere through this incredible challange, its your daughter. I know Bella well, and she is an extraordinary person. Give her time and lots of love, she will understand.

Chrissy Edwards said...

*HUGS* I have tears running down my face as I read this. I had also hoped that Bella's spirit would not be affected like this until later. If I know you and Jake, I know that the strength of your love for her will somehow find a way to help her face this challenge. Big hugs to all of you, especially to beautiful Bella. Love you all!

Anonymous said...

Oh babe! I'm typing through tears. Know that I love you both. You are each extrodinary and strong. You will get through this together! Love you, Chantelle

Anonymous said...

Dear Elisa, I know your heartache, as i am feeling your pain and Bella's frustration ,with many tears...
Would you consider joining a mother's group who have children of missing limbs? I think they can be of support to you . Most importantly, Bella will see that she is not alone..This is very important for her to see this now, when she is questioning her body. I read that children of missing limbs don't start questioning until age 6 or 7. Bella is very emotionally and socially aware and advanced for her age...

There are many limbless children who can do everything that other children can do...
One day, Bella will show the world just how amazing she is ....I believe in her and you.. Holding you with Love.. Mom (Nana)

Suraya Smith said...

A friend just sent me a link to your site & it's really comforting to find another mom speak her truths about her children! I have 2 year old twins & my daughter Summer has Cerebral Palsy. She is not yet able to hold up her head or roll over on her own yet. All I can say in this moment is that my heart is with you & I can relate! I'm sending love your way & I can tell that you are opening your heart up bigger than you ever knew you could & diving deeper into a better you & helping each of your children be the best they can be, just as I am & just as so many other mother's (of children with & without special needs) are also. One baby step in front of the next! I'm learning how to lean into God more myself & trust in His divine plan for us even when things aren't progressing the way I hope for.
Much love! Suraya from Cambria, CA

Suraya Smith said...

As a massage therapist, I wanted to encourage you to start massaging your children. Especially your daughter Bella. but if you massage everyone than she won't feel singled out or that arm won't be the only thing massaged...the entire body massaged as a whole...her arm is part of that whole that completes her. Massage her arm & imagine her "whole" just as she is. "complete" "perfect." I know for me I have moments with my daughter Summer where I can see her in this way & moments where my pain or my perception of her pain get the most of me & i just am sad & scared for her & for her future. The more moments that I can see her as perfect right now & not project into the future too far, it helps me & her & our deep connection deeply! It also helps my other daughter Jade feel more calm & connected b/c she can tell that Mommy is ok & calm & connected! I also just got the image of painting her arm & turning it into a beautiful picture that she can just adore. take one of your amazing pictures & put it up in her room.
i'm suggesting solutions...but i do just feel your pain & meet you right here where you are at without solutions that don't make that hand grow & solutions that don't heal your pain & her pain. You are doing great Mama!

Annette said...

Somehow I came across your blog some months back and have been so touched by what a perfect and beautiful family you are. Prayers for you and your sweet Bella right now. I truly believe that someday soon your perfect little girl will realize that she is indeed just that ... perfect. You are such an incredible example of what a mother should be and each of your children are blessed to have you.


Annette in Texas

Justlittlecajunme said...

From someone who has experienced what your daughter is starting to see, the ignoranace, teasing, questions. My heart hurts for her and you. But be thankful, she is talking to you about her feelings. I never discussed it with my parents because I didn't want them to hurt (In my little mind). You are doing the right thing, following your heart and listening to her.