Thursday, August 25, 2011

Water Babies

All three of the Taylor kiddos are in group swim classes now at EVO Swim School.  They love it, but I think I may love it as much or more than they do… and that’s saying a lot.  Ari is our most recent joiner, as I wasn’t sure for a couple months that the group lessons would be a good fit for her.  Turned out I was wrong about that, and I couldn’t be happier to be wrong at that. 

Ari feels completely at home in her lessons and has already improved so much.  She doesn’t stop grinning the entire time she swims, and she took to her teacher, John, immediately.  It goes without saying that anyone who puts Ari in the water is automatically added to her favorite people list, but John is incredibly good with her and really believes in her potential to learn to swim.  I know that she can sense his confidence in her and that she appreciates being treated just like all the other swimmers.

Ari is already an old pro at holding her breath underwater, but now she is learning how to coordinate kicking at the same time, which is challenging but definitely doable for her.  Ari is also learning how to float on her back, which might be a little harder due to her balance and tone issues, but she is comfortable in that position and is willing to try anything.

DSC_0004

Ari gives John a high five and claps for herself whenever she has completed a drill.  I would bring her to swimming lessons even if it was just for these moments during which I get to watch her beam with pride at her achievement.  Of course, I’m on the side of the pool hooting and hollering like a cheerleader with a crush on the football captain. 

DSC_0008 DSC_00142011-08-17DSC_0009DSC_0011 DSC_0012DSC_0027DSC_0035 DSC_0036DSC_0030

Gabe has graduated two levels and is now in the Sea Lion class (Ari is in the Otters – level 1, Bella is in Seals – level 2).  He has mastered his kicking and back floats, and now he’s working on learning “big arms” among other things.  His instructor, Ben, doesn’t think he’ll be in this class much longer (he’s only been in two weeks anyhow), as Gabe is quickly mastering these skills in preparation to move up to the Porpoise class already.

DSC_0046 DSC_0050DSC_0038 DSC_0040 DSC_0039DSC_0049 DSC_0054

I can’t believe this is the same kid who wouldn’t jump off the side of the pool with his floaties on at the beginning of the summer.  A big THANK YOU to our friends, the Stotens, who introduced us to EVO Swim School.

DSC_0082-1

Bella loves swim class as much as the others.  I am still being constantly amazed at the things Bella manages to do without a left hand.  I tell you, nothing will hold this girl back.  Right now, she is working on demonstrating her breath control by swimming the width of the pool without rolling onto her back, and doing back floats with kicks. 

DSC_0056 DSC_0060DSC_0063DSC_0068DSC_0069DSC_0064 DSC_0065DSC_0070

We plan on keeping the kids in swim year round to keep them active and so that they continue to improve on their swim skills even during the cooler months.  As long as they keep on loving it, I’ll keep on packing our bag every week.

4 comments:

Chrissy Edwards said...

Ok I am sold! Where is this class at and how do I sign the girls up?!

Amberly said...

Ari looks like she is in heaven!

Justlittlecajunme said...

Thanks for stopping at my blog. I will surely follow this blog and some of yours. Your children are so cute. Congrats on their swimming lessons. If you have any questions please feel free to ask, I am not easily offended at all. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of the way Gabe, Ari, and Bella are progressing in swim class..They look so proud of themselves! Love Ari's smiles and all their pride..Great idea to continue a sport that everyone loves. Love, Mom/ Nana