Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Recipe: Alfredo Sauce

These past two days have been a culinary adventure, because it isn't everyday that I'm so fortunate as to have two pounds of leftover Alaskan King Crab meat left over. So, trying to make the best use of it as possible, while utilizing only the ingredients in my fridge/pantry, and of course keeping in mind convenience and ease, I came across these dinner ideas. They both were amazing -- really. On Monday night, we had Crab Eggs Benedict. I won't post the recipe, because I'm sure most people know how to make a standard eggs benedict, and I promise that I didn't do anything fancy except substitute the ham for crab of course, making a world of difference, and turning this brunch standard into something of a fanciful supper. If you feel like going one step further, add avocado to it. Hopefully, your grocery store charges less than $1.79 for 1! On Tuesday night, I made Crab Angel Hair Alfredo. Jake went to bed talking about it, and it was the first thing he mentioned this morning. It's funny what good food can do to a man. Normally, I wouldn't share a homemade Alfredo Sauce recipe that's better than any alfredo I've ever made or eaten, but I figure that I wouldn't have it myself if it weren't for someone else being willing to share it. Also, maybe if I post it, and you make it, you'll invite us to dinner that night?
Original Alfredo Sauce

1/2 cup sweet butter (I usually add extra)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2/4 cup mozzarella cheese
1 (12 oz) box angel hair pasta
(add crab meat to sauce -- optional)
  • Melt butter in medium sauce pan over medium/low heat
  • Add the garlic, cream, white pepper, and bring mixture to a simmer. Stir often.
  • Add the parmesan cheese and simmer sauce for 8-10 minutes or until sauce has thickened and is smooth.
  • When sauce has thickened, add the mozzarella cheese and stir until smooth. Stir frequently.
  • While the sauce cooks, boil noodles for 3-5 minutes. Drain.
  • Toss with pasta.

If I were a cookbook author, I'd post a picture or two just to tantilize you -- but I'm not. So I guess you can use your imaginations. I think you know what eggs benedict and alfredo sauce over pasta looks like anyway ;). Let me know how the recipes turn out!

No comments: