Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Anti-Thrombin III Update

When I arrived home from vacation, I was greeted by a slew of messages from my doctors (my OB & Perinatologist/Geneticist), who both apparently forgot that I was in the Dominican Republic. Between the two of them, they left me about two messages for every day that I was away. In my experience, it is a rare thing to get that much concern from health care professionals. In the messages, the doctors kept using terms like "urgent," "critical," "serious," and "rare condition." They would repeatedly ask my voicemail, "where are you??" and tell me that it was very important that I call them back "right away." Needless to say, I felt a little stressed about the whole thing. When I got ahold of my doctor, he seemed relieved to be reminded that I was just on vacation and that no tragedy had befallen me. He only confirmed that I do, in fact, have a serious case of an Anti-Thrombin III deficiency, which is the most serious and fatal of all the clotting disorders. He told me that because of the rarity and seriousness of the disorder, he and my other physician who are both perfectly qualified to treat me, would prefer that I go to a third physician in Scottsdale for my treatment (I'm assuming just to cover their you know whats). I will be receiving a high therapeutic dose of heparin for the remainder of my pregnancy as well as a baby aspirin regimine, possibly followed by coumadin treatment post-pregnancy. To clarify, this and my other clotting disorders are not specific to my pregnancy, as I may have indicated previously. My "condition" will remain the same after I deliver and for the rest of my life, as this is a genetic disorder that we were only fortunate enough to discover now, because of the pregnancy complications. Anyway, the good news is that I still feel really good, and I'm still loving this pregnancy.
Here are my 29 week belly pics:




1 comment:

The Shobes said...

okay I didn't see these. there were a lot if pics. you look preg. but not 7 months! you're so tiny. you look like me now! no I do have a little belly already and I'm sad. I happened faster this time. But I can still hide it in clothes.