Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Losing Streak

I really don't want to come off as whiny, but I am beginning to think someone might have put a hex on us. Okay, I'm kidding. But, if bad things really do come in 3's, then will someone please tell me what multiple of 3 we're on now? I'm trying my hardest to be positive, but the closest I'm able to come to that these days is sarcastic -- just enough to be able to laugh at myself.

Yesterday was a heck of a day. Lately, there has been quite a bit wrong with our poor dog Chewy in terms of his health. Unfortunately, that just makes him a lot like the rest of us, and he doesn't get nearly the attention he deserves. He has chronic allergies to everything, which lead to skin irritations and rashes, ear infections, and open sores from the scratching/biting (and oh, the smell!). We know this, but yesterday Chewy seemed even worse. Really, I thought there wass something seriously wrong with this dog. Then, I got brave and looked at him up close (it requires bravery because he stinks that bad). Chewy had ripped the fur off his chest and there was what looked like an open, puffy tumor on his chest. Before I get everyone worked up, it turns out that it wasn't a tumor. Chewy had be attacked by ticks -- yes, ambushed in fact, by seven ticks on one of his infrequent walks last night. The vet removed the ticks and Chewy will live to see another day, but he is still no sight for sore eyes. This picture shows off Chewy's "boob" quite well.
Last night, I went to pick up a prescription for Ariana, and I took Isabella with me. When I took Isabella's carseat out of the car, I noticed that there was blood-tinged spit up on her blanket and white bib. There wasn't much, but I could tell that it was blood, and I called her pediatrician that second. Her pediatrician (who I think is great, by the way) said for me to just monitor it and come to get her seen in the office the next day. When we got home, I took her carseat out of the car, and noticed that the spit up on her bib was not "tinged" as it was before, but bright red blood. She also had blood running down her chin. What is a mom of a six week old, exclusively breastfed baby supposed to think? I called the doctor again, and she told me to take Isabella to the ER at Banner Desert. I did. We got there at 10 PM, and while there wasn't a wait, I can't say that they were really helpful either. Everyone in the ER triage acted like it was a big deal to see a baby spitting up blood, but when we got back to be seen, no one had answers for me (same old story). The doctor (Dr. Agozu) was incompetent, and didn't even know what a clotting disorder was -- he believed it meant you bleed excessively, and he refused to be corrected when I told him that thrombophilia is the opposite of hemophilia. Everyone kept insisting that the blood must have been from my breastmilk. They had me pump milk to see if there was blood visible (there wasn't), then they tested the milk for blood (negative), and then they waited to see if she spat up again (she didn't), so we went home... at 1 AM. Today, the pediatrician wrote us a prescription for Xantac, to prevent further erosion of Isabella's esophagus, in the event that her acid reflux caused the bleeding. But still, we're stumped.
So, have I earned a break yet?

6 comments:

Claudia Luckey said...

hopefully it's nothing serious. Considering the doctors don't know anything.

The Rich Family said...

Oh my gosh, that is scary! What could it be?? Could she have a cut in her mouth or something? Your family is in our prayers. Please call if you need anything!

Amber Larsen said...

holy crap Elisa. What the heck is going on????

Erin Buggy said...

Jeeesus, Elisa! I'm glad that both Isabella and Chewy are doing alright now, but how scary to see blood coming from your baby! Y'all seriously deserve a break, and I sure as sh*t wish I could do something to make that happen. I'll send positive vibes your way.... XOXO

Jenn said...

oh my gosh i'm so sorry for all you're going thru. Once you figure out what multiple of 3 you're on LMK and maybe i'll think there's hope for me figuring it out for us :) Just know you have lots of people praying for your sweet family!

Kristen said...

I just breaks my heart to hear what you guys are going through...not even Chewy is safe!! I pray for your family often and I know that everything has to get worse before it can get any better...your break is coming!!