Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Childhood Revisited

It seems like I have to start off all of my blog posts with a time frame for reference, because I’m so bogged down lately that there’s been hardly any time for this.  But, since this is something I love… cataloging my memories for later remembering and nostalgisizing (my word), I will plug away at it regardless.

Two weeks ago, my childhood BFF Nicole and her boyfriend Wayne, came to visit me and meet my family.  It has been ten years since we’d seen each other, but when we finally did, it was almost as though no time had gone by at all.  They came toting an armful of classic children’s books and other little treasures, and immediately won the love of my chillun.  We reminisced about when we were girls – all the trouble we were – shaving legs for the first time, learning about boys, birds, & bees.  And we laughed… we laughed until it hurt too much to laugh any more.  And when that happened, we caught up on each other’s lives.  Her and Wayne hurdling themselves around the entire world for the next year, living life as free as birds, getting to mark a big, amazing “check” off their bucket list.  We talked about travel, places we love, and what we love to do there. We talked about children and children with special needs in general (she has her Masters in Special Education) and about my little wonders in particular.  We ate and talked.  And this went on long after Jake had gone to sleep, Wayne was mentally somewhere off in la la land, and finally… we both got drowsy-eyed and decided to head off to bed.

The morning brought more fun, not unlike the mornings following our 9-year-old girl slumber parties.  Big, late breakfast eating; “Cinderelly-Bibbidy-Boppidy-Boo” dressing; pillow fighting; raw zucchini munching; Aunt Marci loving; pants peeing fun.  All I can say is, it better not be another ten years before we make this happen again.

DSC_0189DSC_0191DSC_0196DSC_0154DSC_0172DSC_0149DSC_0176DSC_0178DSC_0157DSC_0158DSC_0167DSC_0212 DSC_0222DSC_0226

No comments: