Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Princess Turns Two

Last Monday was delightful. Most birthday celebrations are fun -- you know, full of cake and laughter. Isabella’s second birthday was all that for us, plus it really was above-and-beyond special to me aside from the ritual stuff that normally makes birthdays happy. All day, amidst the singing and the cuddles, the playing, the princess parading, and the caking, I thought about my little sweet one. I remembered our moments throughout her precious life; from the panic-stricken first moment that I found out I was pregnant with her, to the first moment I knew how much, how painfully much I already loved her at 20 weeks gestation when I found out about her missing limb (and how I already loved her short arm more than I thought I could ever love someone’s arm). I thought of her first moments in the world as a crying whitish purplish blonde baby and how she reminded me of a marshmallow, beautiful short arm flailing in the air as if waving me an enthusiastic hello. And how she nursed like she knew I was her Mommy from the first minute (an altogether new experience for me in motherhood). I adored that baby more than I ever wished I would. I adore her still exponentially more every day.

I feel that every stage in Isabella’s life has been my favorite; and every day -- even on the worst of days -- with her, I feel blessed to be her Mommy. She brings so much joy – so much life into our world. I love her glee, her charm, her sassiness, her sense of humor, her compassion, her determination, her affectionate nature, her confidence, her energy, her spirited temper, her sweet sensitivity, her happy-go-lucky attitude, her intelligence, her zest for life, her… love. I can’t even help it.

DSC_0027-1DSC_0030background

We have a tradition for the girls in this house that we like to call the Princess Parade. On the birthday of each of my daughters, we dress up in tutus, crowns, and of course, bling. All this to feel not only gorgeous and super duper out-of-the-ordinary, but also to let all those who gaze upon the little pixie know that today is their day of all days! Yeah, we do birthdays right up in here. Shout it from the rooftops style.

DSC_0034 copyDSC_0001DSC_0003DSC_0004DSC_0008DSC_0011DSC_0016

“I’m a one-eyed baby spider” – Gabe (on Sid’s doll-headed spider toy from Toy Story)

DSC_0020DSC_0025DSC_0036

Bunny is one of Bella’s three lovies. The other two are Blanket (a pink satin blanket) and Bear (a pink bear/rattle holding a mini pink satin blanket).

DSC_0039DSC_0043DSC_0046DSC_0048 copyDSC_0050DSC_0051DSC_0055DSC_0058DSC_0063

All of my girls are Daddy’s Girls. I am so grateful that they have such a wonderful Daddy who makes them feel like princesses every day.

DSC_0067DSC_0075DSC_0076

This is, of course, is what I get for trying to swipe Bells from her beloved Daddy’s arms for a quick picture.

DSC_0078

Appeased by a cheese stick. :)

DSC_0083DSC_0089DSC_0096DSC_0097DSC_0101

Our much-loved nanny/respite provider, Shanna, was a little camera shy.

DSC_0110DSC_0111

Cupcake = Happiness!

DSC_0122DSC_0123DSC_0124DSC_0117DSC_0125DSC_0141DSC_0127backgroundDSC_0132 DSC_0135DSC_0138

Happy Birthday my little Bells. You make my heart skip and melt every day. I love you.

5 comments:

Chrissy Edwards said...

Happy Birthday Bells!!!!! Love, Tinkerbell ;)

Unknown said...

Your photos keep getting better and better. Happy birthday Bells. Love you sissy.

Jay, Sarah, Noah, & Nate said...

What a great post, Elisa! You are so great with words! Happy Birthday, Bella!

Unknown said...

Love them!!!!!!! Happy Birthday :)

Unknown said...

Love them!!!!!! Happy Birthday xoxoxoxo :)