Friday, December 10, 2010

A Thanksgiving I Forgot to Photograph (mostly)

Every other year in our family is either a Taylor Christmas or a Taylor Thanksgiving, meaning that we at least have one major holiday that we reserve to spend up north in Holbrook.  I like both holidays in Holbrook for different reasons.  It was very cold in Holbrook this year, which really put us in the holiday spirit.  It even snowed on the first night that we were there, leaving a thin blanket of snow of the ground on Thanksgiving Day.

We spent every day doing something new and fun with everyone while we were there.  We went bowling and shooting and built a bonfire and rode around on the Polaris and took individual family photos; but mostly, we sat around and ate like crazy while we watched our kids create sweet chaos wherever they went.  Then we grown-ups stayed up late into the night, microwaving homemade cinnamon buns one after the other until they were gone, and then we moved onto the pecan and pumpkin and chocolate cream pies until they too were gone.  And the boys drank too much soda the whole time (a Taylor trademark), and we all indulged like you ought to on Thanksgiving and are all probably paying for it now (speaking for myself).  The kids do what they do when we’re there, and that includes spreading around their winter bugs that they pick up in school (in this case, a tummy one), barely sleeping & eating, and playing/loving/fighting/learning/growing with one another in a very special way that I missed out on when I was a child.  And we spent much needed time together, as a family, creating the memories that will last a lifetime for our children and that will carry us over until the next time we reunite.

DSC_0724DSC_0725DSC_0680DSC_0720

I took two photos of pre-Thanksgiving dinner.  Two!  What had gotten into me?  I blame the excitement or getting my kids fed or being totally pooped and lazy from doing individual family sessions earlier. DSC_0198DSC_0207

And while I didn’t get any photos of Thanksgiving day or the day before or the spread or most of the following days or really anything worth photographing at all, I did get the worst shots of everyone experiencing a Turkey Coma!  Mind you, this was only 7 PM!  You would’ve thought it was midnight judging by everyone’s faces (except Ari’s because she boycotts turkey).  I’m sorry for what I’m about to do, Jake :)

DSC_0219 DSC_0214DSC_0216 DSC_0220

Gabe is always the most well behaved of my three children when we’re in Holbrook, probably stepping up to the plate, realizing that he’s the youngest of four boy cousins.  He gets along great with the other boys, and can’t seem to stop talking about them all year.  My Ari loves being with all her family, but her routine sometimes gets into a funk, because it can be a challenge for her to do all the same things as the other kids, so she can get frustrated and restless with her situation when we get around so many able-bodied kids.  Bella acted out of character this time, and wasn’t her usual sweet self.  This, I attribute in majority part to her being two years old now, but in small part to do with being a little overstimulated and feeling competitive with her two adorable mini-me’s (actually, her younger female cousins are all within a year of her).  She went around telling her little cousins to “go away!” with a sassy little attitude – not her cutest nor my proudest moment.  In any case, it’s always a learning experience, what matters is having these times to reinforce our children the notion that for better or for worse, we are family and we will always be here for each other.

The day after Thanksgiving, we ventured outside in the cold.  We built a bonfire to stay warm while the boys took turns shooting in the wash.  The kids slid down piles of dirt and went on Polaris rides with Papa.  We cozied up in the camper trailer and all ate homemade chili and rolls.  Gabe cut his finger on the shot gun casing when Jake was letting him help hold the gun (with Jake), and now Gabe has sworn off guns and shooting -- for now.  What doesn’t kill you only makes you… wiser.DSC_0223DSC_0224DSC_0226 DSC_0227 DSC_0228DSC_0230 DSC_0232

Even after great weekends, I’m always happy to head back to home sweet home.

DSC_0728

1 comment:

Alison said...

Well you took more pictures than me. I don't what was wrong with me - just too tired to take pictures I guess. I was so good to see you guys!