Thursday, October 27, 2011

Farm Weekend

Every autumn, we make it a point to get out in the beautiful summery weather and pretend that it’s actually fall.  We do this by going to the farm.  A couple weekends ago, we actually made a weekend out of farm-going and on a very small scale, brought the kids back to Jake’s rural roots.  We visited Schnepf Farms one night, and since the kids were begging to go back, we hiked over to Dewitt Stables the next day.  Between the two days out in the country, we pet animals (even carried, and ahem… threw a couple animals at one point), went on a hayride, picked pumpkins, put the pumpkins back when we realized they were $9 a piece, rode ponies (twice), went on Pumpkin Festival fair rides with our friends, rode on a haunted railroad, and got dirtier and dustier than I ever thought possible :).

DSC_0001DSC_0004

Ari decided that she’s too big to be afraid of animals this year!  Wahooo!  Don’t worry, no goats were carried or thrown.  Just a couple unlucky ducks and a chicken on day 2 of our farm experience. 

DSC_0006DSC_0011DSC_0010 DSC_0013

We went on three rides.  One was a rollercoaster, which wasn’t huge, but as far as fair rides go, it was decent sized.  We all went on it.  Daddy and Ari, me and Bella, Gabe and his friend Jax, my friend Natalie and her nephew.  Gabe and Ari had a great time, but poor Bella kept begging me to go home almost the whole ride.  When she got off, she told everyone that she liked it, but mentioned to me on the side, “I didn’t raise my hand and say ‘yaaaaay! like everybody else did’…  I just cried.”  I just want to squeeze her ;).

DSC_0014DSC_0015 BackgroundDSC_0022DSC_0017

When we went on the Haunted Railroad, Gabe clung to Mike as though he’d known him for years.  It was too funny.  The ride got creepy at times.  There was one moment in particular that spooked Ari and my poor little Bella (they make fun targets I think).  Crazy, big handed, candy corn toothed, ghoul demon (see below) snuck up behind them both without saying a word.  When Bella finally turned around, she (understandably) decided that my lap was the best place for her face right then and there.  Don’t worry, she hasn’t mentioned it since, save for asking to go back. 

DSC_0025 DSC_0024DSC_0026 DSC_0027

We stayed out a little late, but it was worth it.  Such a fun night.

DSC_00292011-10-15_12-30-06_953

Yes, that is a duck in Bella’s arms.  She reminds me a little of Elmyra Duff; "I'm gonna hug you and kiss you and love you forever!”, “I love cats I love kitties, squeeze them into itty bittys!"

2011-10-15_12-30-00_241

The next morning, Ari showed us that she is a brave cowgirl at Dewitt Stables.  I am so happy that she’s overcome her fear of horses! 

Ari’s pony ride

1 comment:

Colene Traynor said...

Hi Elisa!We met yesterday at the shopping center in Gilbert. I have enjoyed looking through your blog. Your family trip to Schnepf Farms has me pretty excited for our 1st visit there tomorrow with Madison and a few family friends! It was so nice to meet you and your kiddos yesterday. I look forward to someday getting the kids together for a playdate :) Hope to talk to you soon. Have a Happy Halloween!
-Colene