Friday, December 14, 2012

The Nutcracker: Rehearsals

Every day that Ari has come to Bella’s dance class with me, she has been enthralled with watching the little girls do their spins and turns and leaps.  She loves when the music pipes out a door accidentally left ajar, so that she can dance, while seated, to its rhythm.  Whenever I glance around to talk to another mama or to check my phone email, Ari reminds me to watch the dancers.  I know that she would love to dance.  Love.  But, she can only do so much, and enrolling in class where Bella goes is probably not the best way.

This summer, I was told about an opportunity for Ari to be in a ballet.  A ballet.  More specifically, ‘The Nutcracker’ Ballet, being put on by the the Ballet Academy of Arizona in partnership with United Cerebral Palsy (UPC), at the Orpheum Theater in Phoenix this holiday season!  Logistically, rehearsal schedule and other little things made this decision seem daunting, but again, I just cannot say “no” when I’m given an opportunity to enrich the lives of my little ones, so we jumped in, and I’m SO happy that we did.

While Ari initially had some reservations of her own at rehearsals, with there being a lot of new faces and voices (many of them very excited and very loud), she has now come to a point where she is comfortable with her group and even has made a couple new friends (Hailey – not pictured, and Shelsey – pictured in the group shot camera left of Ari).  Several other of the girls have assumed protective roles over Ari, and (whether Ari likes it or not) can’t resist Ari’s cute and vulnerable ways.

Ari will be performing on December 22 and 23 at the Orpheum Theater (Phoenix’s most historic and beautiful theater).  You can purchase tickets at Ticketmaster.com.  It will be magical for sure.  We hope to see you there!

DSC_0192DSC_0184DSC_0185NutcrackerPosterDSC_0183

2 comments:

T said...

Wow - What an amazing opportunity! It looks like great fun Ari :) x

nancy said...

sarah Hales sent a link to your blog. That looks so amazing. I am a mom here in the valley with a kiddo who has special needs. What a awesome experience!