Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Liam at 9 Months

As I am writing this, I am in total disbelief that I just typed 9 months!  For one thing, I just can’t get even come to terms with the fact that nine whole months has crept by.  My baby will be a year old before I even have a chance to type another word or take another breath it seems.  Time is just flying by too fast.  On the other hand, I can’t believe it’s been nine months, because Liam doesn’t really behave like a 9 month old in a few (motoric) ways.  Namely, Liam isn’t crawling or army crawling (despite his best efforts).  He doesn’t roll to get around, although he is capable of rolling.  He doesn’t like to bear weight on his legs either.  This worried me, so at Liam’s 9 month check-up, I brought it up, and we are going to get Liam evaluated for physical therapy coming up here pretty soon. 

In other ways, this month was a rough one for me, especially when it came to Liam.  Liam got very sick this month.  He was hit with some back-to-back viruses, including what appeared to be RSV with a nasty cough and a week long fever; that ear infection from the previous month never completely resolved until two rounds of antibiotics later; and he cut another two teeth (his top incisors).  One other curious thing that happened was that his head circumference shot off the charts.  This is most likely not a cause for concern, as I was told repeatedly, but it is does warrant a head MRI within the next month, just to make sure nothing besides “familial causes” (aka Jake’s head size genes) is to blame.  I do hate to write a whiny post, but Liam has been acting bothered in general this month, totally unlike the easy baby I bragged about for months in the beginning.  He is itchy, because of his eczema which won’t go away even with topical hydrocortisone multiple times per day.  His appetite can almost never be satiated. This baby could eat a ten year old under the table! He seems to be having some of the worst separation anxiety I have ever experienced (he needs me holding him all. the. time).  He has been crying more and smiling less.  Overall, this has got me somewhat topsy turvy, as I feel like I didn’t fully feel the weight of a fourth child until now… in the ninth month.  Am I okay?  Yes, I’m fine.  Just feeling a little frazzled, behind on my work/chores, and guilty to my other kids (and husband), but fine overall.  And I love him like crazy.  Even at 4 AM, he looks and feels so dreamy that I hate to put him back to bed after feeding him.  I love the way his hair feels on my cheek and the way he smells.  He still smells so good and babyish.  I love rubbing his back and hearing him sigh deeply in my arms.  Baby sighs and baby smells dissolve stress and anxiety.  It’s a fact.

Liam:

•  Pivots on his tummy in a circle

•  Eats at least 8 oz. of baby food per meal, plus a high chair tray full of cut up table foods!

•  Lets his opinion be known!  He bosses his brother and sister around and slaps their faces when they get too close to him, especially around food.

•  Can reach far in all directions when in sitting to bring his toys closer to him.

•  Sits in a grocery cart and a restaurant high chair at the table

•  Tries to imitate our facial expressions

• Gives wet, sloppy kisses on request!

Oh, hello Mommy.   DSC_0397

Why, yes!  Of course, I want to play a game!  What kind of game?

DSC_0396

Oh, wait a minute.  You just moved my lizard.  That’s MY lizard.             

 DSC_0401DSC_0402

Now I have to reach for my lizard.  Why are you just sitting and watching while I am clearly struggling here, trying to get my lizard?  Kind of rude.

DSC_0400DSC_0403DSC_0405

Just one more inch and…

DSC_0407

Yes!  Now, you will go the way of all lizards before you.

DSC_0409

I liked that game. 

DSC_0411DSC_0413

I think we’re done here.

DSC_0414

2 comments:

Paradise Found said...

Your pictures of your baby are so beautiful. We've experienced the opposite concern with head size. And one time had a nurse measure my child's head completely wrong. Threw her completely off the charts! I would love to snuggle little Liam if ever you need a break :)

dannette said...

You have such beautiful children. I just stumbled upon you blog after losing it a long time agon when my computer crashed. We have a child who has a dx of quadriplegic cerebral palsy, so I had found your blog based on that. With your little guy, I would be curious if he has some type of sensory processing disorder as that is what our 16 yr old had and he was not a mover when he was your Liam's age. Our son did not bear weight, never crawled, but did scoot on his bum (not a good thing) and had aversions to many other things. The good news is, that with intervention the walking happened and now he is a big burly football playing kid - it does get better! Hang in there and definitely seek early intervention, if for not reason than to rule out the above!