Saturday, January 10, 2015

Thanksgiving

This Thanksgiving, we went up to Holbrook to be with Grammy and Papa, Ryan and Chantelle’s family, and Ali and Darren’s family.  It is always such a fun and memorable experience each and every one of the times we have gone up there.  Every time we go up, it’s both the same and different from the many times before.  It’s different of course because the kids are older, but we somehow always manage to do something new every time also, and let’s be honest, a house with 19 people can not be boring.  But it’s the same in ways too; there is a sense of unwavering and unconditional love despite our differences in personality and the scuffles the kids get in over sharing or roughhousing. 

We all go to bed and wake up knowing that we are loved, and we feel secure with sharing our love in return. 

I feel thankful that my children are growing up with this cherished notion of family.  I know how valuable it is, as I grew up without the company of cousins or the influence of aunts, uncles, or grandparents.  I know that it’s hard for me to speak how grateful I am, which is why I write it.  I know it’s hard for my kids to put in words how grateful they are, but I see it in their tears when we have to leave to go home.  I know and they know that it is here where life’s most important lessons are taught and learned.  This is where we are safe to make mistakes, to unapologetically celebrate our victories, to change, to be our worst selves at times, to be our best selves at other times, to air our opinions and share our knowledge and to gain inspiration and wisdom from each other.  I’m thankful for that.

This Thanksgiving, I am also thankful for my loving and supportive husband, my four beautiful and joyful children, my two sisters, finally living in the perfect home for our family, our current health, discovering a promising new seizure detection watch that is due to be released this summer, and of course, our everyday miracles.

DSC_0465DSC_0476DSC_0420DSC_0424DSC_0423

No comments: