Thursday, January 21, 2010

C'est La Vie

As you know, last Tuesday we made a decision to postpone Ari's Stem Cell Therapy (supposed to be this past Monday), because she and Gabe were sick with high fevers and a nasty cough. On last Thursday, we felt assured that we had made the right decision, because Gabe was still burning up, and Ari's cough was still going strong. By Friday, the kids had healed up completely. By this time, I had already cancelled and rescheduled our appointment, cancelled our hotel reservations, rescheduled Ari's weekly therapy appointments, and told all our friends, family, and those praying for us that we weren't going. But, we were seriously wishing that we had gone, because, hello, the kids ended up being well all weekend long. So, we figure, 'let's just go this coming weekend while the kids are healthy.' We book it, so very proud of ourselves for our spontaneity. After all, the logic in this was how are we ever going to know the week before if our kids (Ari specifically) will be sick or well by Monday of the following week? They could be well and the get sick, sick and stay sick, sick and get well, you know...

Come Monday night, Ariana wakes up screaming and vomitting. I second guess our decision, but stick it out anyway. Tuesday, she seems back to her happy self (*relief*), but Isabella starts getting diarrhea (no!). Wednesday evening, Ari vomits again, but only once after dinner, and sleeps through the night just fine. Bella still has diarrhea. Thursday (today), Ari seems fine again. No vomitting, although she started acting nauseaus at dinner again (this she demonstrates by arching her back and screaming for no reason). But Gabe tells us he has a "tummy ache" and a "fever in his tummy" all day. After his nap, he pukes up his entire lunch all over his crib. Bella wakes up from her nap covered in diarrhea. So, I give in and cancel the trip for tomorrow. Even if I wanted to go, even if the kids would be well by Monday, it would be a miserable car ride and four days leading up to Ari's treatment. And I had no time to pack, because I was busy tending to my needy litter of sick babes. I know it's viral, because Ari and Gabe just finished a round of antibiotics, so there's nothing we can do at this point to kick this out of their systems any faster.

Right now, we're just saying that we're playing this by ear. I wish I could give a definite date to people, especially those who wish to pray for Ariana on the day of her procedure, but since everything is dependent on our health, this is impossible. I can't handle the uncertainty. I have to make literally fifteen phone calls every time we cancel or reschedule, to work in doctor's appointments, therapy visits, pre-school tryouts (don't ask), carpet cleaners, dog sitters, Jake's work schedule, Devyn's work schedule, and everything in between. I think this is giving me a major anxiety disorder. I'm kidding, but it is really stressing me out. My kids have not been well (all three at once) for more than three consecutive days since Christmas! If we don't all get well soon, I'm going to commit myself. Jake says, "C'est la vie. Le tragédie," and somehow this actually does make me feel more normal.

1 comment:

Karmann said...

I am sorry babe that been so sick and your plans of the trip keep going up and down! I am sure it isnt easy on you! I wish I was there to give you a hug! I will continue to pray that it happens sooner than later and they all get better!!!

MISS YOU!!!!