Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Potty Trained!

Before I say anything, I need to mention that this post is a full four months belated! 

So, as you can probably guess from the title, we’ve had a huge milestone achieved in this household.  Ariana has been going number one and two on the potty successfully but did not know how to hold her bladder in between potty trips for two whole years.  Now, she has now nearly mastered the skill. 

With the help of skittles, support from preschool and respite, and my new best friend, the Malem Ultimate Bedwetting Alarm, we’ve made a huge victory.  What the alarm does is ring to remind her every time she starts to get the tiniest bit wet so that she stops wetting and also begins to recognize the feeling of needing to go.  Ari still wears the alarm, but it normally stays silent.  Around the time Ari turned five in February, she had gotten it down.  Now, she has good weeks and not so good weeks, with the good weeks being all dry all the time, signing “potty” whenever she needs to go, and the bad weeks being an accident a couple times that week (always on the heels of swimming).  She still wears a pull up at nap time and to bed, but sometimes those stay dry too.

I have said it a thousand times now, but I’ll put it in writing, that this is the single biggest milestone and relief in my mind since Ari started eating real food.  I am so proud of her and I am grateful every single day for this achievement and for her ability to do it.  I’m sure that nighttime potty training is in the near future, but we are just enjoying the freedom that comes with daytime training for right now.

What can I say?  We are all ecstatic.

DSC_0010 DSC_0005 DSC_0008

No comments: