Friday, August 10, 2012

Reunion

When the opportunity was presented to me to travel up to Holbrook with a new baby for a family reunion, I didn’t exactly jump into the air with excitement.  But, what happened this time was no different than what has happened every time before – I came back feeling so grateful that we went and with a spirit rejuvenated.  Body exhausted, soul happy.

We saw family by the boatloads.  We celebrated many things (Rob & Ligia’s wedding, Liam’s baby blessing, Kylie’s baptism, my birthday).  We reconnected with both distant and nearby cousins.  The kids played, Liam was passed from one warm set of arms to another, the grownups laughed and talked politics (Taylor custom), and we all felt loved.  I couldn’t stop thinking about how I wished we all lived closer together.

Uncle Ryan and Uncle Rob gave Liam his baby blessing.  It was so special.  I would give my little bundle a baby blessing every day if I could, because that’s how much I love the ritual.

Family photo (immediate family only): Take 1… don’t ask me what happened here.  I don’t know.DSC_0061

Family photo: Take 2.  That’s the best we’ve got this go ‘round.DSC_0062

We had a reception in honor of Jake’s brother, Rob’s wedding to Ligia.  It was a beautiful evening.

I still haven’t gotten my set of photos on CD yet (ahem, Stephanie ;) ), but there should be more to come.

DSC_0059 DSC_0044DSC_0053DSC_0056 DSC_0057

Bella was scooped up by her older female cousins within five minutes of being there and was loved on the whole weekend. 

DSC_0051

Ari and David were inseparable as usual.  She loves him so much.  I love him (almost) as much as she does, for treating Ari like the princess we believe she is.

DSC_0048CSC_0082

Call it post-baby hormones, call it what you will, but I miss them all terribly already.  As I am getting older… I just had my 28th birthday over this weekend as well (*sigh*), I am realizing that family is more than just nice to have around.  It is a true need of mine to watch my kids experience their cousins and learn from the examples of their aunts and uncles as well as the stories and wise lessons of their older relatives.  As for me, I crave the sense of community and the support and the friendship that comes with a tight knit family.  I can’t help but feel a twinge of envy for those of my friends who have a bevvy of siblings and cousins surrounding them at every birthday and holiday and weekend barbecue.  I am so grateful for the family we have on both sides, and I am reminded of this every time we are together.  It is my hope that one day more of us will be closer together in proximity. 

A girl can dream.

No comments: