Thursday, May 30, 2013

#7

I have a lot of catching up to do when it comes to posting on my blog and when it comes to just about everything else in my life right now, to be honest.  But for this post, I’m going to jump ahead, because some posts go straight to the top of the heap. 

Ari had her seventh post NICU seizure today.  She had it at about 4 pm at the end of a late nap.  Bella found her upon awakening (they share a room).  I think we caught it right as it started, because it was relatively mild compared to the ones of longer durations.  Her coloring was almost normal (slight blue cast), she wasn’t sweating, and she seemed to be breathing more or less normally.  I pretty much knew as soon as I saw her that we would be able to stop it with her Klonopin and Dyastat.  We only needed 2 Klonopin, before she began slowing down.  Then she was weak and nauseous for a while and had to vomit everything that she ate that day.  After about two hours, she seemed like she was slowly coming out of the woods.  Our favorite neighbor, Glenda, rushed over to help me with the other three so I could focus on caring for Ari.  Liam gets fiercely jealous if I hold anyone else in view of him.

We still have no idea what caused the seizure.  To our knowledge, she isn’t sick.  She didn’t have a fever at any point today, including right after the seizure, which is highly unusual.  We aren’t feeling very encouraged by the timing of this seizure, because it’s only 3 1/2 days away from her scheduled surgery.  This just seems like one of those times where, try as you might to be optimistic and/or resourceful, you simply have to choose from some very undesirable options.  The surgery isn’t going to be a walk in the park, even if things were to go perfectly, but any little variant could really skew the outcome. 

We are praying for her.  I hope we can count on you to do the same… and if you don’t pray, then please send us your positive thoughts, energy, vibes, whathaveyou.  We’ll take it all.

(these photos were not taken today).

DSC_0028DSC_0024DSC_0025DSC_0032bwDSC_0030bwDSC_0023DSC_0026DSC_0031

4 comments:

Chrissy Edwards said...

Love and prayers for you guys and Ari! ❤

Annette said...

I came across your blog a few years ago and think you are such an amazing mother. You have the most beautiful children and your sweet Ari is in my prayers for her upcoming surgery. May God bless you all.

Elisa said...

Thank you Chrissy <3

Elisa said...

Thank you Annette! And thank you for reading our blog. We definitely appreciate the prayers. Tomorrow is a big day.