Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Liam is 11 Months

Can I just say that I’m not ready for Liam to be approaching one year old?  I know that he is my last baby, which is probably why I just want to keep him little for much much longer.  I have not even planned a party for his one year, which you know, is so unlike me.  When I do, I will want it to be a small celebration, with just family… I think.  On Liam’s official birthday, I will be in the hospital with Ari recovering from her surgery.  I kind of feel like crying just to think about it… I am no good at thinking about Ari’s surgery or planning for it.  I have done nothing to mentally or physically prepare myself or anyone in the house, other than to pray, and I am bracing myself for the backlash of my avoidance and denial.  I also feel huge mommy guilt to be away from him for at least most of his big day.  Ugh, I just really want June to be over, to tell you the truth.  I’m getting queasy right now.

In other news, Liam is still wonderful and loveable and feisty.  Yes, he is a fiery one… just like his mommy.  With a stubborn streak… just like his daddy :).  He still loves music, and prefers making it over passively listening to it.  His favorite toys are bells, with hairbrushes and my IPhone tying for a close second.  He loves bells of every variety (hand bells, jingle bells, bells on instruments, little sleigh bells from the North Pole).  He will throw a fit if I ever attempt to take one of these items away from him.  He has been known to carry the same hairbrush with him all day long, attracting the amused comments from people passing by about how he much he must need it for all the hair he has.  Liam doesn’t get the joke yet.

However, Liam does understand a lot of jokes and seems to be developing a great sense of humor.  It’s a good thing too, because this is needed in our family.  Liam has a marvelous fake laugh that he’ll call on whenever he sees other people laughing at something.  He makes a high pitched sound and wrinkles up his nose and grins a toothy smile.  I love it.

Liam has been moving along on his tummy, but I wouldn’t call it crawling.  He does get around though… with his combination bum scooting, forward reaching, pulling knees in, rocking, commando crawling, reaching again, tummy pivoting, movement combination.  He had his first session of physical therapy, which was very informative (more on that in next month’s post). 

I am happy to announce that Liam has also started bearing weight on his legs, which is a first for him!  Up until now, his legs have been like noodles or permanently in the pike position so as to avoid letting his feet make contact with the floor.  Now, I can’t hardly get him to sit down in his high chair or flat on the floor, because he’s always intercepting me by putting his feet in a standing position.  Now, he still doesn’t have the balance or the desire to go it on his own, but I’m still happy to see him making progress in this area.

Liam has been starting to drink water and a little bit of milk from an open cup.  He is not so good with the sippy cup, and he’s inconsistent with the straw, but he drinks like a pro fairly well with an open cup or water bottle.  Holding it is another story altogether.  I have thought about starting to wean off the night feeding, because of the upcoming surgery, but I can’t stand the thought… of weaning or the surgery.  I’m starting to feel another anxiety attack come on…

Liam has been boycotting baby food except for the fruit and the sweet potatoes.  He won’t eat the fruit mixed with baby cereal either.  Baby food dinners have been out for a while.  At first, I thought it was his double ear infection and his head cold that was making him averse to eating.  But I have just had to come to terms with his distaste for bland pureed food.  We’ve moved on to a toddler diet for every meal, with the exception of a pouch when we’re out and about… yes, the gourmet organic $1.69 for 4 oz. of food… that kind, he’ll still allow.  Normally though, he’ll eat whatever we’re eating with gusto.

Liam has started enjoying playing in the company of his sisters and brother.  He sometimes squabbles with Ari over toys, but that’s to be expected.  Sometimes, he’ll even forget I’m not on the scene and just happily squawk away with them while playing with blocks or whatever else they’re doing.  Gabe and him sometimes even get into trouble together.  I’ve caught them sword fighting each other with a hiking stick and a long shoe horn from Korea.  Not my proudest moment, nor my calmest, but the point I’m trying to make here is that Liam is starting to fit right in with the others… mischief and all!

DSC_0029DSC_0019DSC_0016DSC_0014DSC_0004DSC_0003DSC_0002DSC_0022DSC_0004bwDSC_0021bwDSC_0016bwDSC_0020DSC_0015DSC_0014bwDSC_0013bwDSC_0012DSC_0036

No comments: