Thursday, July 4, 2013

Goodbye Preschool

Bella has been my side-kick this year.  She was my little helper, wherever we went, always willing to make small but significant sacrifices to help me throughout our day.  She would fetch things around the house for me or push Liam’s stroller through the isles of Target if I asked her to.  She was an extra set of hands for me, and most of the time, she made a comical, playful, and easygoing companion too.  In exchange, I was her playmate.  She loved to ask me to “do something fun… like an activity or something” with her every day.  She would ask repetitively but so sweetly and charismatically that she made me want to please her too.  I can recall many times when I scrapped any plans I had made for the day so that I could watch her eyes light up when I told her we were going to do something that she loved.  The days when I resisted, because of work or other commitments, I felt terribly guilty the whole time… and after… even until now as I’m typing this.  She has that effect on me.  And the truth is, I set out this year to enjoy the time I spent with her, because I knew that time like this would not be so easy to come by again.  Sometimes, it was hard to give her my full attention because Liam was never more than twelve inches away from us at any given moment, but she was always so patient; with him and with me.  Now, reflecting back on the year and wondering where it went so quickly, I feel a little panicked that she is going to Kindergarten this month.  Bella is so ready to be there, and I know that she will love it and succeed at it, but as for me… I will just be missing her.  I felt somewhat like this with the twins when they were about to enter full-day school, but I just kind of feel like you hold on to the littleness a bit longer and tighter with the later children.  Right now, I just wish I could keep her small for just a few more years.

Bella graduated from Miss Jessica’s preschool (I think it’s called Learning Tree Preschool, but we’ve just been calling it “Miss Jessica’s” for three years) at the end of May.  She has really matured into a Kinder-ready little girl, and we are all so proud of her.  First of all, Bella’s artistic talents are truly amazing.  Yes, she is my daughter.  Yes, little girls everywhere enjoy coloring and drawing and tend to be good at it, but Bella is really the best I’ve ever seen.  Her attention to detail and use of multimedia, thoughtful color choice, ability to color with varying pressure, and her drawings of everything she sees (especially people) are kind of amazing to me.  I would not be at all surprised if she does something in a creative profession as an adult.  Bella has started reading this year.  She knows a good number of sight words and she is sounding out words very well.  She has made friends with everyone in her class, especially her two best friends, Ella and Quinnie.  She has never let her lack of a second hand get in the way of her achievement.  She is hands-down the most adaptable little person I know.  For a four year old, this is quite an impressive list, in my mind.

DSC_0240DSC_0242DSC_0243

When the ceremony began, these kids did not walk out to Pomp and Circumstance.  I was happy to see they did not walk out at all, but rocked out the entire time!  They came out to the song “It’s Always a Good Time.”  Bella was the line leader, right behind Miss Jessica.

DSC_0247DSC_0245DSC_0254

She looked to be having the time of her life.  I loved that even with only one plate, she rocked that routine like no other!

DSC_0262DSC_0268DSC_0271

Bella was given the honor of reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in front of everyone.  This was a total surprise to me, and she did a beautiful job.

DSC_0273DSC_0274DSC_0275DSC_0277DSC_0280DSC_0281DSC_0285DSC_0282DSC_0289

Just as in years past, they did a parent-child face painting ritual, which symbolized the values they would strive toward during their next year and beyond.

DSC_0296DSC_0297DSC_0299DSC_0300

Bella won the Smarties award for her intelligence in all areas.  Miss Jessica announced that Bella was the only graduate that knew how to read already.  I’m so proud of Miss Bella!

DSC_0308

Bella and her best friends Quinnie and Ella also received the 3 Muskateers bar award for being inseparable from each other.  I think this is both cute and amusing at the same time that girls can form such close bonds at such a young age.  Although Bella is sad that Quinnie will not be attending Carlson Elementary with her, she is very excited that she and Ella will both be going there together!

DSC_0305DSC_0309DSC_0315DSC_0318DSC_0319DSC_0321

Congratulations baby girl.  I am so happy and sad, excited and nostalgic at the same time.  This is normal for me… I get this way at every milestone event for each of my children.  I should be used to it by now.

No comments: