Monday, May 5, 2014

Holbrook Reunion Party

One of the things that both Jake and I have learned about ourselves is that we are social creatures.  If we didn’t have to cook each time, we would want to have parties at our house on a weekly basis (and I’d like to be invited to parties at least that often too ;)).  I am a believer in sharing life and sharing experiences.  I am not a private person, we don’t really need “our space”, and we are not exclusive when it comes to friends – the more the merrier in our opinion!

With that said, time still often gets away from us, and we let the days and even years slip by, because we get caught up in being busy.  So we often neglect to take the opportunity to enjoy a beautiful evening or a fun-filled afternoon with the people we love already and the people we want to get to know better, because of the perception of being “busy”.  I think a lot of the time we aren’t nearly as busy as we think we are, and we just need to stop what little task we’re working on, skip a practice or a meeting just once in a great while, and reserve time for the people we want to include in our lives.  I often think to myself, I wish I could share this (BBQ, tiered cake, movie, moonlight, joke, fill in the enjoyable experience with our friends), but it’s too late to call them, because (I’m sure they have plans with family, would think it was too last minute, can’t get a babysitter, would feel like an afterthought, are too busy, fill in the excuse) so I don’t bother.  I need to be better about this.  Life is so worth sharing.

But the times when we do remember and make the effort are so worth it.  Jake has been mentally planning to invite his longtime friends from his hometown of Holbrook, AZ ever since we wrote a contract on this house last year.  I love that they always have a place in his heart.  I can totally relate to this, as I’m often homesick for friends from my childhood in Buffalo, NY (I have never been back to my hometown since I moved 13 years ago).  Jake even purchased the second picnic table just so he could accommodate the whole group.  I was so happy to see that all of his friends made it happen and came out to have one big pot luck BBQ with everyone’s families.  We had such a great time.  This time around, I know we won’t let as many years slip by before we reunite.

DSC_0336DSC_0324 DSC_0301DSC_0323DSC_0303 DSC_0304DSC_0306DSC_0314 DSC_0315DSC_0318DSC_0293DSC_0294DSC_0297DSC_0309DSC_0326 DSC_0313DSC_0321DSC_0317 DSC_0325 DSC_0296DSC_0328 BackgroundDSC_0329DSC_0333DSC_0340DSC_0345

No comments: