Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Christmas Eve

Right now, somehow, life seems busier than before.  We are settled into our home, and Ari’s surgery is well in the past, so I don’t know the reason it is that way, but it is.  I have picked up some new hobbies, maybe, like gardening and baking and dabbling in watercolor, but this blog still matters to me.  This project that I’ve had for the past seven years.  I see it as a legacy for my kids, a journal in a way, of major milestone events and celebrations in our lives.  I don’t really care that my grammar is poor and my writing sounds like it rambles… okay, I do, but not enough to quit writing over it.  So, I am aware that it’s February, and I’ve skipped a few posts along the way, and still I’m no farther than Christmas Eve, but I want to remember this past Christmas Eve. 

I want my kids to remember it if it’s possible.  It was my favorite one so far.  It was warm and perfect in every way.  At least I thought so.  I loved that we were here and we had a beautiful mix of both sides of our family.  We ate prime rib and Yorkshire pudding, potato leek au gratin, beet and arugula salad, stuffed mushrooms, and had our favorite pecan fig pies.  Everyone contributed something to the meal, but more importantly, our home was full of love and laughter and every seat at our table was occupied by wonderful company.  We cooked together and ate our “feast”, as Gabe would say, and went on a family walk in the cold night, and it was so lovely.  Christmas Eve is my favorite night of the Christmas season.  There is so much anticipation and it’s so festive, yet it has hardly anything to do with presents.  This song just about sums it up for me: http://nj1015.com/watch-excellent-christmas-version-of-hallelujah/

DSC_0047DSC_0040DSC_0058DSC_0075 DSC_0076

No comments: