Monday, September 13, 2010

Test Kitchen: My Favorite Meatloaf

I may very well be about to ruin my credibility by doing a meatloaf post.  But before you come to that conclusion, go ahead a try it for yourself.  Best meatloaf since Adele’s (my childhood nanny).

Ingredients:

  • 2 tsp. vegetable oil 1 small yellow onion, chopped ¼ c. milk
  • 1 c. soft fresh white bread crumbs (from 1 slice of white bread)
  • ¾ c. ketchup, divided
  • 4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, divided
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • 8 oz. ground breakfast sausage (Jimmy Dean)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 ¼ tsp. Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
  • ½ tsp. garlic powder

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5-7 min. Transfer to a large bowl.

2. Combine milk & bread crumbs in a small bowl & set aside. Combine ¼ c. of ketchup and 2 tsp. of Worcestershire sauce in another small bowl & set aside.

3. Add ground beef, sausage, remaining ketchup and Worcestershire, egg, seasoning mix, garlic powder & bread crumbs to the bowl with the onions. Mix until just incorporated (with your hands). Mound meat loaf mixture in a 9 x 5 x 3” loaf pan. Bake for 45 min. Remove from oven & pour off some of the fat. Spread the ketchup mixture over the top. Bake for 30 minutes more. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

4 servings

DSC_0005

4 comments:

CDR said...

That looks so yummy. Thanks for the awesome activity. I really love that calling, and thanks for always being so welcoming. I feel bad that sweet Ari had to wake up to my stranger mug. Please give her my apologies. You such a great leader Elisa, and a great example to for me. I need to master that calm and collected thing you have going on. When Wes gets upsets, I am not so cool. I hope you have a great week.

CDR said...

P.S.
What is the green food in the pasta vodka? It is one of my fav dishes.

Jay, Sarah, Noah, & Nate said...

Yeah! I love that you are posting recipes now/again!!

Chrissy Edwards said...

I tried this recipe this week - YUM!!! I'll be looking for you to post more, Sunday is my "try new things" night!