Saturday, September 11, 2010

Test Kitchen: Penne A La Vodka with Chicken

I’ve written posts like this from time to time before; never quite sure of whether it’s a worthy thing for me to blog about, but due to a few special requests, I’m at it again.  I consider myself a test kitchen.  I’m not a chef; not really a cook either.  But I DO cook.  I cook other people’s recipes.  And after six years of making at least three totally brand spankin’ new recipes each and every week, I dare say, I’ve gotten pretty darn good at pickin’ ‘em too!  Any recipe that shows up here is a very safe bet and worth your time in the kitchen.  I don’t publish the flops.  With that said… happy eating!

This recipe is credit of The Pioneer Woman, but I add chicken to mine.

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound Pasta
  • 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast (broiled in a pan with kosher salt & olive oil until juices run clear, 10 min?)
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1 whole Medium Onion, Chopped Finely
  • 2 cloves (to 3 Cloves) Garlic, Chopped
  • ¾ cups (to 1 Cup) Vodka
  • 1 can (About 14 Oz.) Tomato Puree
  • 1 cup Heavy Cream
  • 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes (I use way more than this… like 1 tsp. at least, but you know, “whatever makes your skirt fly up” – PW)
  • ¼ teaspoons (to 1/2 Teaspoon) Salt (I use way more than this… like 2 Tbs. at least, but season to taste)
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
  • 1 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese

Instructions:

Cook pasta according to package directions, being careful not to overcook.

In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and butter. When butter is melted, add in chopped onion and garlic. Stir and allow to cook for two minutes. Pour in vodka. Stir and cook for three minutes. Add in tomato puree and stir.

Reduce heat to low and stir in cream. Allow to simmer, being careful not to overheat. Stir in red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.

Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of pasta water in case sauce is too thick. Add cooked pasta to the sauce, tossing to combine. Splash in a little water if it needs it. Stir in Parmesan cheese.

Pour mixture into large serving bowl. Garnish with more Parmesan cheese.

DSC_0004

1 comment:

Paradise Found said...

I've tried several of the Pioneer Woman's recipes. Her cinnamon rolls are delish! This penne looks yum. Thanks for the recommendation.