Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Bella’s Luau

This wonderful girl just turned six years of age.  Six suits her.  It’s innocent yet surprisingly wise.  It’s curious yet responsible.  She still looks at me with the same adoration that she did when she was a baby, yet there’s something about her spirit that seems like its already grown, and I can see more of a young woman in her every day.

Processed with VSCOcam with c2 preset

I threw a birthday luau for my hula girl.  Have you seen this girl hula hoop?  She can do things with a hula hoop that I can’t even do without a hula hoop. I had every intention of letting them hula hoop at the party and I even bought color coordinating hula hoops for just this reason – since it was the inspiration for the party and all – but I got so distracted by all the other fun that was going on and the ominous clouds that were threatening to monsoon us right out of there that I totally forgot all about hula hoops.  The luau was a hit even without them, and Bella reassured me that she didn’t miss it at all, so all is well that ends well.

 DSC_0018 DSC_0019

My sisters and I worked hard to make the table look as cute as possible, considering the hurricane-like winds blowing around that day.

DSC_0025

I was pretty proud of our homemade tiki island cake.  By no means professional, but made from scratch and by the loving hands of her mom, dad, and aunt Marci.

DSC_0011

I love throwing birthday parties for my kids.  I love making their simple wishes come to life.  They don’t ask for anything extravagant, and I don’t ever feel too overwhelmed or that I spend too much.  Everything from the food to the decorations is handmade in the nights leading up the their day.  I get to spend time with my sisters, Jake, my friends, and anyone else who wants to help me put my vision together.  And maybe it never comes together quite like I had it in my head, but it comes close enough, and I think my kids love it just the way it happens. 

DSC_0074

On the menu:  Tropical Fruit, Ocean Water, Hawaiian Punch, Hawaiian Pizza, Luau Meatballs, and Tiki Island Cake and Cupcakes.

DSC_0055DSC_0053DSC_0050 DSC_0068DSC_0066DSC_0056DSC_0059DSC_0062 DSC_0061DSC_0070DSC_0065

The girls all eagerly awaited the arrival of two gorgeous mini ponies, Lilly and Lola, dressed in high heels, bikinis, and grass skirts, thanks to Storybook Ponies!

DSC_0029

They got to brush and cuddle and do the ponies’ hair till their heart’s content.

DSC_0033DSC_0036 DSC_0037DSC_0039DSC_0045DSC_0040DSC_0046DSC_0079 DSC_0081DSC_0085DSC_0084 BackgroundDSC_0090

The girls also played on the slip ‘n slide and the trampoline.  We had intended to swim, but we had lightning and ultimately a downpour.  Initially, the kids danced in the pouring rain and wanted us to turn up the music… but then the rain turned into the flood scene from the movie Noah so we booked it into the house to open gifts under roof.

DSC_0094DSC_0105

Although it didn’t go entirely as planned, it turned out to be a great day for Bella and everyone who Bellabrated with us.  With all the wind and water and cake and high heeled ponies, I’m sure it won’t be a day that we will soon forget.

2 comments:

Ellen Seidman said...

Hi, Elisa! Your family is BEAUTIFUL! And you have quite the eye from design, as is evident from your birthday party and photography talents (I was also looking at your photo blog). Wishing you were near me so I could hijack you to come up with firefighter birthday party ideas! He he. It is nice to connect.

Taylors said...

Thank you Ellen! Nice of you to stop by my blog! I love reading yours!! If you ever need party advice, feel free to email me :).