Thursday, February 4, 2010

Post-Seizure Update

The panel of radiologists have returned with a diagnosis, and it isn't great. Ariana does have a new clot in her brain. There has not been a stroke, but a stroke still could be imminent should the clot continue to grow. The head radiologist (Dr. Kuasha [sp?] ) called to me today, along with the Patient Care Liaison for Radiology (Beth Walker), director of Radiology (Al Wildman), and our intensivist during our stay (Dr. Haddad); informing me of the news. They've been working very hard to "resolve this issue", and they've had every radiologist worth their salt at Banner Desert review Ari's current and previous (01/09) MRVs. It's no longer a hung jury on what's going on with Ari. On Ariana's current MRV, there is a missing vein. On the previous MRV, ss stated by Dr. Kuasha, that same vein "looked normal". Now, we are just waiting on Ariana's hematologist, Dr. Shah, to decide whether or not to prescribe anti-coagulation therapy (Heparin most likely). The anti-coagulation therapy is not expected to break up the clot, but should prevent the clot from growing any larger. However, there are many serious dangers to anticoagulants, which may in fact outweigh the risk of leaving the clot alone. For instance, any minor injury/bump/fall could cause Ariana to hemorrhage, which equals automatic stroke or even death (if it's in the brain). The clot, on the other hand, might continue to exist without fully impeding the blood flow (causing a stroke). It's Russian roulette either way. This time, the doctors are going to have to make the call on their own.

7 comments:

Esther and Brian said...

I am sorry to hear this, Elisa. I truly am. I hope that the doctors will make the right decision for your little sweetheart.

God Bless...

Karmann said...

Oh sweetie!!! My heart is aching with you as you await to know which way the doctors want to go for Ari! I will pray that they will be guided to do what is right! My thoughts and prayers are with you continually!!! I miss you so!!! Give that sweet little girl a hug and kiss for me!!!! XOXOXO!!!

Jay, Sarah, Noah, & Nate said...

You guys continue to be in our prayers. Will you still be able to move forward with her treatment on the 15th?

Gena MacDonald said...

omg Elisa. I am so sorry to hear about all of this. My heart cries for little Ari and for you.

Gena MacDonald said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

I am so sorry to hear about little Ari. You all continue to be in our prayers and that the doctors will be inspired to make the correct decisions.

Mer (Lulu's Mommy) said...

I just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you.